Wednesday, September 8, 2010

My Grail Watch #4: Seiko Marinemaster Professional 300m

2 years ago or so, one of my friends Gary showed me an IWC Portuguese Chronograph and I was in awe of the it's aesthetics and being a mechanical engineer, was more in awe of the makings and windings of the watch. This started in me a passion  for looking and reading, not necessarily owning, watches, and the rest as they say is history.

After one Seiko and one Steinhart automatic, both of which I really love, I still have in my head a list of what I believe would make my own perfect collection. This list is not necessarily in order...

Read complete list of my favorite watches here

-----

Seiko Marinemaster Professional 300m

Seiko Marinemaster Professional 300m
lifted from by Reficul_X of WUS review at
http://www.thetruthaboutwatches.com/seiko-marine-master-review-sbdx001
The Seiko Marinemaster Professional 300m, or Seiko SBDX001, is another model from the Japanese watch giant Seiko that I really like (others being the Seiko BFS and Grand Seiko GMT).

I've read and seen a fair number write-ups, reviews, pictures, and videos  of this watch and here are a couple of things that really attract me to it.

  • I like the way the bezel, the chapter ring, and the domed glass make the dial look 3D.  Of course people would say of course its 3D, its a real object! Duh! But what I mean to say is because of the design of each of the elements, there is a certain depth to the dial that I really like, it makes the watch look bigger and more interesting IMHO.
  • I like the off-white, almost golden color of the hands, the hour markers and the bezel numbers. They look like really good candidates for a nice golden patina in a few years time.
  • I like that it looks similar enough to the Rolex Sub that comparisons are unavoidable, but at the same time it's bigger in a tougher bad-ass looking way that it also draws comparison to the another watch with a cult following, Doxa.
  • I like the exclusivity of the watch, it being a Japanese Domestic Model (JDM), meaning that there probably aren't a lot of it in the wild. But I can imagine what a pain it would be to have it serviced.
  • And of course I like that it's got an in-house movement, the same Automatic 8L35 used in Grand Seiko models. Enough said!
This is definitely one watch I'd love to have and make a proper review on. It's currently priced at about USD2,200-2,400 and can be bought locally in Japan or online stores that sell JDM models. This is definitely on my shortlist and one that I would have no problems buying if only I had the funds to buy it. Sadly the Pinoy Watch Idiot is also a Poor Watch Idiot.

2 comments:

  1. Yes. I bought this watch years ago, I still love it. Especially the case architecture of using front loading.
    And the very advanced bezel aesthetic, before Rolex.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you need your ex-girlfriend or ex-boyfriend to come crawling back to you on their knees (no matter why you broke up) you have to watch this video
    right away...

    (VIDEO) Win your ex back with TEXT messages?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails