Monday, September 20, 2010

The Average Filipino Size

Before you start thinking of anything else, this post will only be discussing wrist sizes! Sorry to disappoint some of the readers who might be thinking of rather more erogenous parts, but I won't be covering that part of the Filipino physiology.

One of the biggest consideration in choosing a watch is whether it would look nice on one's wrist. With sizes ranging from, but not limited to, small like the Hamilton GG-W-113 (34mm) to big like the Panerai Officine Egiziano (60mm case), I have seen collectors wear watches that IMHO looks like it was built for their wrists, or on the extreme end, looks like it was a lady's watch or more often looks like a wall clock worn on the wrist.

Of course to each his own. But I'm digressing.

The best way to measure your wrist size is to get a string or strip of paper, wrap it around your wrist and mark where the end of the string meets the rest of ts length. Straighten the string out and measure from the end to the marked point. That will be your wrist size.

After a quick short survey at PWC, I found that the average Filipino wrist size is 6.69in*. 64% of all the respondents however had 6.5in wrists. The smallest posted wrist was 6.25in and the biggest was 7.7in.

I guess it is safe to say that 6.5-6.7in would be the average male* Filipino wrist size. I myself have a 6.5in wrist and I'm glad to know that I'm just average.

Here is a wrist shot of a 44mm watch on my 6.5in wrist. A couple of years ago this may seem absurd and too big. But with the current fad (is it here to stay? I don't know) of big watches, I think it looks great!
Steinhart 44mm Nav. B-Uhr II Automatic

With a wrist size similar to mine, I've found that Filipinos generally wear 38-44mm watches. But the popularity of Panerai most collectors even wear 47mm watches and in once case a 60mm watch!

The next time you visit a forum especially those based in the US and read someone saying that 42-47mm watches might be too big for your 6.5in wrist, remember that most Filipinos have the same sized wrist and that these watches work with our wrists great based on what Ive seen. Of course don't just take my word for it, go to your nearest AD and try it on!

*For some reason, only males responded to the survey.

1 comment:

  1. This was exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Thanks for summing it up in a few paragraphs.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails